Re: RC: Re: Some of Us Didn't Stop at lst Level

Yes, I do.
    I have never had a muscle cramp in my 16+hh Arab gelding and as far as
"soreness"...never has been a problem, either.
    By "standing in line," I think you mean waiting at vet checks.  The only
line I every really had to "stand" in was at Tevis.  Most of them, I just
monitor my horse and "present" when it is best for him.
    My gelding has done what I would deem as "extensive" flat work,i.e., free
lounging (when young), bitting rig (a bit older), cavelletti work of varying
spacings, gymnastics (low), bunches of rhythmic work, serpentine, shoulder
in/out and a bit of two-tracking, leg yielding and other lateral work.  This
work was low intensity, never "drilled" and rhythmic with good tempo.  (All I
try to do is get the horse to tighten its stomach muscles, lift its back and
allow the rear end locomotion a clear path forward, around the arena or down
the trail.)  I guess, for some, (me included) that can sometimes not be an
easy thing to do.
    I found that that kind of work, over about a three year period, results
in a supple, relaxed mount who's muscles and supportive ligaments, etc. are
now "ready" to do some miles and, hopefully, will be able to "do it" for
years without muscle cramping/soreness.
    Hope I answered your question...maybe you were looking for TTEAM stuff,
rump rugs, equine chiro or rolfing, but I found that dedicated flat work,
feeding into trail conditioning as a reward to horse and rider in sufficient
amount and intensity to prepare for endurance distances usually works for me.
    I believe dressage, as well as working hunter, feeds wonderfully into
"endurance riding."
    I don't "race," if I did, maybe I would have to change my philosophy,
maybe I wouldn't.  Maybe one day, we'll see.
    Glad to see you do "both."
     Frank.