Devices and Desires

At 11:49 AM -0600 1/30/00, Spencer wrote:
>It is interesting to note that you were given 'looks' for using a HUMANE
>piece of tack.. I have also had fat lips and bloody noses from either the
>head or the neck whacking me... Look at the hunter/jumpers tack and take a
>look at what the rodeo cowboys use... those 'lovely' tiedowns made of cable,
>no less...
>It has always occured to me that common sense and individuality of horse and
>rider should dictate.   It seems that to ride endurance the horse needs the
>greatest freedom of movement with most control for the rider.. As I look at
>the pics of some of the ''top" riders.. I see a form of running martingale..
>which I think is an excellent device.. IMHO.. Mary Ann

I've known horses who couldn't be out on trail without a running
martingale because they can't be rated otherwise, because the horses
fling their heads.  I know horses who can't go without a breast
collar and/or crupper, because either they are using a saddle that
doesn't fit, or aren't conformed with a nice big rib cage and withers
in order to go without these things.  And some people use breast
collars as a safety tool with horses whose saddle can slip due to
lack of withers or a preference to go with a loose girth.  But IMO,
way too many people use these devices from habit alone!  More than
one riding buddy has offered that as a reason when I've asked why
they use one thing or other.

Personally, I think standing martingales have no place in our sport.
They're a safety hazard.

There are a lot of horses that should go back to basics in the arena,
you bet, and then their riders should make use of the techniques
shared here on ridecamp to avoid "race brain" behavior.  Those that
don't have these posts from last year, and can't find them by
searching under "race brain" in the archives can contact me, I saved
many of 'em.   I think Linda Cowles, Linda Flemmer contributed, among
others.

Mary Ann, there are a lot of endurance horses that go in a bridle at
the start, and are in halters by the first vet check.  Control is
only an issue early in the ride, for many.

Many people are willing to take on "project" horses who have
conformation that is less than ideal for our sport.  They use "what
works".  I'm from that school of thought, however, I try to analyze
where I can reduce the need for devices whenever possible.  With my
horse, that has meant dropping the breast collar, reducing the
severity of bit/hackamore to S-hack (though she could go in a halter
after vet 1), no martingale.  Changing saddles 5 different times, to
optimize fit for both of us.  And learning a ton in the process.

I just ask that people analyze what they're doing from a utility and
safety standpoint, use the training devices only as long as they need
them, and not just out of habit.

Seems like I really rambled on--I'll spare you the other soapbox rant
about supporting breeders that breed correct horses for performance
sports like ours.  ;-)  Or on proper ways to adjust saddle fit ,
another favorite.  (I'm signing off now, really!)

Lynne

Ontario, California    http://www.lynnesite.com
Norco Riverdance Ride (PS) 9/2/00
& Rem-member Me, Celesteele