White hairs and black spots

Someone on the list mentioned that large areas of white hairs can be due to
heat build-up.  I purchased a Tennessean saddle for my gaited horse and it
appeared to fit well.  She showed no signs of soreness and gaited very well
in the saddle.  However, when her winter coat came in, there were large,
symmetrical areas of white hairs just behind her withers.  I looked on the
underside of my saddle and in the area of the saddle over those areas of
white hairs, the saddle fleece is completely black.  Now, it wasn't like that
before and my saddle pad is hunter green, so I don't think that it comes from
the saddle pad.

Does this seem weird to anyone else?  Is it true that large areas of white
hairs are not as big of a deal as small areas?  I've stopped using this
saddle until I know more.

Rhonda