Re: RC: RE: bits & contact

>Abby Bloxsom wrote:
>
> > Tamara Woodcock wrote:
> > >
> > > I was browsing in a tack store recently and came across the Myler
>"Better
> > > Bit" booklet,
> >
> > Tamara -
> >
> > How is that book?  I've never read it, but wondered how much of it is
> > advertising and how much is real information.
> >
> > -Abby
> >

>Speaking of Myler bits - I've checked out their website (www.toklat.com)
>trying
>to find out it they sell any 4 1/2 in. bits.  Anybody know?
>
>Amber

I try to stay out of any discussion that could relate to my job at Dover
Saddlery... I hate free advertising for my employers. But as it gives me
experience with all sorts of products, I'll jump in this one. Ok, the book,
"A whole bit better" is ok as books go... but it does have lots of
advertising in it. It goes, 'this brother is a champion calf roper and built
a bit to suite the needs of the industry', etc. Yes, it does give some good
technical info of both english and western bitting, but the slightly
outdated "A bit of magic" is more geared to the anatomy of the mouth and how
the bit will interact. However, it is for all english bits, the only mention
of a western bit, the bosal hackamore is off. And it also leans towards a
brand, the Kangaroo line of bits. Oh, did I mention an englishwoman wrote
it? Or is it an australian? Anyways, it's easy to translate head collar to
halter and such.

On to the sizing of Myler bits.... they do custom bits galor. That's how
they started out, as is written in their book. So while Dover does carry a
4.5", the rings are a bit big from what I remember from this summer.... we
had a Rep out from Toklat.. unfortunatly, he wasn't a bit guy, just a
salesman, so had to find all his answers in his paperwork. I knew more than
he did about the mouth, and I'm only 20! I bought a 5" wide barrel dee and
the rings dwarf both my Arab's & Appy's head..... so I'd order a custom bit
and ask for a certain diameter ring. I'm sure they can do it, but sometimes
it takes them upwards of 6 weeks to get it done. Oh, you can interchange
mouth pieces, materials and such with almost no problem. And why not if
you're custom ordering, get what you *really* want!

Ok, that's enough for me....   re-lurking now

Marlana Pitas
South Attleboro, MA
http://www.EquineMT.com
http://free.EquineMT.com  Complimentary massage