2001 XP Sanctioning

K S SWIGART   katswig@earthlink.net

I have had conflicting information from different members of the AERC Board of Directors.

One (who was not a member of the Board at the time the ride was sanctioned) says that the ride has been sanctioned as 8 separate 5 day multi-day rides--so a rider can get Pioneer Award points for riding 5 consecutive days on one horse).

One says that the ride has been sanctioned as one 40 day ride--so a rider must ride the entire 40 days on the same horse to get Pioneer Award points.

And now Barbara McCrary (who was on the board at the time of the sanctioning) says that it is 8 separate 5 day rides.

But then, I am probably not understanding the Pioneer Award points requirements because I had always thought that in order to earn Pioneer Award points, a rider and horse had to do ALL the days of the Pioneer Award ride in order to earn ANY points for that ride, but this year's Pioneer Award point standings show mileage/points for ANY finish of any one day of a Pioneer Ride even if the horse/rider team did not complete all days of the ride together.

Whichever the case may be both in how the 2001 XP is sanctioned, and how the AERC tabulates Pioneer Award points; I suggest that the Board of Directors come to some concensus on these issues and let the membership know.

And if eligibility for a Pioneer Award DOES require that you finish all the days of the Pioneer Ride on the same horse, I suggest that this year's point standings reflect that (as it has in previous years).  And that the issue be resolved before the final point standings for the year are calculated.

kat
Orange County, Calif.