Cotton seeds in beet pulp

I started finding what looked like the top of a Q-tip in the shredded beet pulp I buy. I always threw them away whenever I saw them. The last bag had so many, I took these things to the feed store. Found out that they are cotton seeds, and probably not very good for the horses.

I took the bag back and was given a replacement bag, of course with profuse apologies. Imagine my surprise when this bag had more cotton seeds in it than the one I returned.

Could any one shed more light on this? I mean, just how bad are cotton seeds for a horse?

Thanks - Jeanne