RC: EIA

In the early and middle 70's I lived in NY and Vermont.
EIA yearly testing was mandatory in both states and a positive test meant the horse
had to be put down.  Although none of mine ever tested positive, I  knew plenty
of people personally, who's horses WERE put down, and none ever exhibited any
symptoms what so ever. It was a fact of life we lived with.
The test was $10.00/horse then and it's $35.00/horse now.
 At present, the test is only mandatory if the
horse is sold or competed... but I know of plenty who will buy or sell without doing
a coggins and plenty who do not test their non-competition horses (but still ride
with strangers in un-organized groups).
Barb