Re: RC: Conditioning locales in not-too-southeast in February

In a message dated 11/29/2000 5:49:32 AM Pacific Standard Time,
RISTREE@aol.com writes:

<<
 Good morning.

 Much as I hate to digress from the heated Coggins and Horse Auction topics,
 I'm hoping for some help from our neighbors in the southeast.

 Hubby and I (with the new gooseneck LQ burning a whole in our driveway)
would
 like to head south from western NY in February to do some pre-spring
 conditioning miles.  It takes us about 8-9 hours to get to Roanoke from
here,
 but we'd be willing to travel a few extra hours to find a place we can camp,
 ride on some semi-decent footing trails, hang out with ponies and dogs.
 Water and electric hookups and stalls would be bonus.  Even thinking of
 squeezing in a 25 or slow 50 during that time . . .

 Any suggestions?  You can email us privately at ristree@aol.com

 Thank you in advance.  Now back to your regularly-scheduled programming.

 --Patti Stedman (in East Otto, NY)

Hi Patti,

I live in Leatherwood Mountains.  It's a horse community with about 100 miles
of trails.  We hold the Leatherwood Mtn. Challenge endurance ride in April
each year.  We have a campground with electric and water hookups.  We also
have stalls located in our three barns.  A restaurant and rental cabins are
also located on the premises.  Leatherwood is located in NW North Carolina.
I would guess we are about 3 to 3 1/2 hours southwest of Roanoke.  Maybe not
that far.  The barn number is 336/973-5044.  Give us a try.  Ask some of the
ridecamp members, who have competed in our ride or who condition here, about
Leatherwood.  Hope this helps.

Phil Rash