Re: Equine Infectious Anemia

I can't believe I'm even bothering to comment on this post, but old Don is
mistaken in numerous areas.  One, prevalence of EIA *has* dropped
significantly in the past twenty years, which it wouldn't if uncontrolled.
Two, there are several manifestations of the disease other than those he
mentions, including inflammation of brain tissue, blindness and
lymphodenopathy.  Does every horse get this, no, but that's not the point of
the program.  Three, the likelihood of infection between one horse and the
next is described in epidemiological texts as quite a bit different than the
six million to one he describes.  Is it as contagious as some other
diseases, no, but still contagious/infectitious (which are not the same
thing).  Yup, he's right, they don't know how many horses die of the
disease, but that's not the point here, epidemiological prevalence is.

What Don seems to be missing here is that THERE IS NO CURE AND NO VACCINE.
A horse may or may not die directly of the disease, but regardless, he stays
a carrier for the rest of his life and sure as God made little green apples,
given enough horses eventually carrying the virus, with enough exposure to
other horses over time, the prevalence of the disease *will* spread through
the equine population---simple mathematics and epidemiological facts here,
folks.  May not kill every horse outright and may take twenty or forty or a
hundred years for it to spread through the population, but gee, what do you
think the chances are of controlling it then?  No cure for it, remember?
And by the way, EIA is an acquired immunodeficiency virus and viruses
mutate---they do it all the time.  Can EIA cause disease in humans?  Not at
the moment, but wouldn't it just be a bitch if it spread through the horse
population and then we found out, oops, it's mutated into a virulent form
transmissable to humans?  Too sci-fi for you?  HIV is a mutated, previously
innocuous virus.  Maybe Don doesn't mind having "apparently" healthy,
seropositive horses around, but I'd appreciate it if he kept them the hell
away from *my* horses.  Until there's a cure or vaccine for the virus,
you're damn right I support it being monitored and controlled.

Yeah, horses get euthanized from testing seropositive.  The program has to
do with epidemiology, not individual horses.  Life's a bitch.

Anyone that honestly believes vets are out there testing horses at oh
yippee, $10 a pop as an evil conspiracy to get rich should be ashamed of
themselves.

Susan G