Frosty grass (Susan G?)

Hi guys,

I am directing this to Susan G, but anyone else who has some info please
feel free to chime in.

I have recently heard there may be some ill effects suffered by a horse who
eats grass which is covered with frost.  Can anyone substantiate this?
Something to do with the sugars in the grass fermenting, and this not being
the case once the sun hits and the frost melts?

My horse gets turned out early in the am (by me) and has, as far as I can
see, been eating frosty grass for years with no ill effects.  Are some
horses more prone to problems than others?  Age, breed, (assuming they are
used to grassy turnout to begin with)....

TIA,

Laurel Hickey in frosty New York