Feeding Toc

K S SWIGART   katswig@earthlink.net

Another indication that this is a schooling problem not a feeding
problem is that it only manifests itself when the horse is under
saddle and not when the horse is on a longe line.

Clearly, if the horse longes beautifully while at the same time
becomes a lunatic under saddle, this has little to do with the
horse's physical condition.

It MAY be an indication of poor saddle fit, but this cannot, realistically
be fixed with the feed bucket either.

One might, in this instance, longe him under saddle to determine
where the "holes" in his schooling are, or as an intermediate step
to solving the manageablility under saddle problem.

But if this were my horse, I would definitely be trying to figure
out a good training regime for him, and it wouldn't include trying
to get him tired.  That doesn't solve your schooling problem, it
just makes him more fit :).  And teaches him that he doesn't
have to be obedient unless he is too tired.  Fit horses (like all
horses) should be manageable from the first step.

kat
Orange County, Calif.