RE: The Endurance News (was Donna's Column)

As someone who has finally joined AERC (probably the only Egyptian member)
and has yet to get a copy of EN......but who has been an editor and writer
for a magazine here in Egypt for some time now, I'd like to point out a
couple of things. NEWSLETTERS can provide a lot of extremely useful
information at very low cost to the provider and to the user. They are
usually aimed at a fairly narrow audience and are happy to break even.
MAGAZINES make most of their money from advertising, must usually aim at a
wider audience to even break even and often lose a  lot of money....Trust
me.  I'd personally prefer to have a good newsletter as a member of AERC
than a half-assed magazine. I get Practical (or Impractical) Horseman,
Equus, even have gotten Arabian Horse World for a few years. AHW (or Equine
Playboy, as it's known here) is almost 100% ads and takes me about 10
minutes to read after which I pass it on to others for the pretty pictures
of how we don't want to clip our horses. I agree that it is a good thing for
AERC to be financially sound, but maybe this just isn't the place to go
Hollywood. Leave Equus to Equus.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
maryanne@ratbusters.net
www.ratbusters.net

It seems to me that the whole question about whether the EN should be paying
for
articles comes down to a very simple question:  Is the Endurance News a
magazine
or a newsletter?