Re: RC: DSS summary and question

Actually my response was not directed to the DSS issue directly. That's what I get
for not changing subjects. My response was more directed to Teddy's comments on
sponsorship and how the AERC should make sound business decisions based on the
facts involved.

I would suspect that the AERC is not in the position to determine the "value of a
piece of writing" and how to "trade for advertising."  There may be no way under
the current accounting system to track these cost and income. The cost would be
the article "where actually no money changes hands" and the income is the payment
for the advertising, "where actually no money changes hands."

While it would be nice to "just do" everything that seems to make sense, it is
sometimes not easy to do that. I've gotten a real education in these matters since
I started my own business and have my accountant keeps telling me what I can and
cannot do!  I don't have sufficient details to know if this trade articles for
advertising can even be tracked under the current accounting system. When one
changes the policy for one person it must be implemented across the board. I am
not sure it is not a pandora's box.

While the AERC should be responsive to the members, it also must be responsive
considering all the facts and constraints involved. I may make sense to revisit
this policy, but there are a lot of other issues besides the quality of DSS's
articles that must be weighted in deriving the policy.

Truman

--
Vertex Engineering, Inc.
Innovative Solutions