Re: RC: Re: you go girls!

In a message dated 11/22/00 3:33:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
helgeson@ndak.net writes:

> Not everyone is educated as to what happens to horses after they leave the
>  sales ring. And the way to educate them is not by slamming them or cutting
>  them down, that just makes people defensive.

Somehow I missed the original post on this.  If someone could please send it
to me I'd appreciate it.

BTW, I purchased Dance Line and a beautiful Black Tobiano Paint from a horse
auction in Ocala, FL.  I really disagree that all horses auctioned go to the
slaughter house.  It just isn't so.  Yes, there is that chance, but it
certainly isn't a hundred percent.

If you ever sell a horse, unless you sell it to a close friend, relative or a
neighbor, there is always a possibility that your horse might eventually end
up at a horse auction.   You never really know what happens to the horse
after you sell him, do you?

The person you sell your "buddy" to could, eventually, become unhappy with
the horse and do the last thing that you would expect; take it to an auction
for sale.  So, does that make everyone who sells a horse a horse killer?  I
don't think so.  Most horse owners I know, including myself, have sold a
horse at one time or another, for whatever reason.

When I first retired from the Air Force I had the idea I'd buy and sell
horses to make a few bucks and do something that I enjoyed.  It didn't take
me long to find out that, because of my quirky personality, I had to be the
worst salesman on the planet.  I discovered that, in spite of my ability to
bullshit pretty well,  when it came to horses, if I didn't like the potential
buyer I couldn't do business with them.   I ended up dreading meeting the
next "stranger" who was gonna come over and horse shop at my place.  So, the
only two horses that I purchased at an auction for my new business venture
still live with me.  Good thing I didn't buy twenty of them!

Auctions are not the best way to sell a horse, but it can be a great place to
buy one.  Especially a young horse.  I got my Paint from one when she was 6
months old.  She was the prettiest thing there that day.  And you should see
her now.  She turns 4 in January and I can't wait to take her to her first
endurance ride (25 miles, of course).  I'm the only one who has ever ridden
her, so you can imagine what a mess she is.  But, like Dance, she's a thing
of beauty,  a site to behold.

cya,
Howard (currently destroying those illegal chads in my fireplace)