Re: RC: Donna Snyder Smith's columns

Laney, I couldn't agree more.  Our training methods and knowledge are
applicable to all horse disciplines.

Donna's articles are of the "Technical Article" type.  I would guess
that EN does not have to do much to them except publish them as
written.  There are lots of people who can write....that is, put pen to
paper (or finger to keyboard) and produce information that is
grammatically correct, flows logically, and reads well.  These people
are very valuable to publications, because they can take a mishmash of
accurate confetti and jargon produced by techies and massage it into a
great article.  However, people who are technically knowledgeable at a
high level and also have the ability to write well are difficult to
find. I would like to see EN keep Donna's articles. In fact, why not
solicit and pay for a few more?  Why not reprint Dr. Ken Marcella's
article on Endurance Veterinarians in DVM Magazine or some of his many
other articles?  Ken is not only a good writer, but a dedicated
Endurance vet and his practice is totally Equine.  Why not a couple of
Angie McGhee's humorous articles?

Have written a FEW articles for major publications myself, I can attest
to the time, effort, and research required.  I'm not sure I would be
willing to write a monthly column of this quality without a little more
than just advertising space. If $$$$ is an issue, I would be willing to
add $1.00 to my AERC Membership fee and make EN something more than just
a place to look up ride results.

By the way....I drop off my Endurance News at the Dentist's Office or
the local Veterinarian.  People "steal" them from the counter magazines.

Jim Holland AERC 4074

--
Richard T. "Jim" Holland                 Phone:  (706) 258-2830
LANCONN, Inc.                            FAX:    (706) 632-1271