Barefoot & sore

Hi,
Seven weeks ago I pulled all the shoes on my 4 yo TWH gelding's feet.  It is the first time he has been barefoot since he was a baby.  He was very gimpy the first two or three weeks when I rode him on hard dirt roads with some gravel. (Tried to stay in soft plowed fields as much as possible BTW) But by the 6th week he was doing quite well.  Then yesterday I had him trimmed, and the farrier said he had not grown very much in the previous 7 weeks so he took a very little bit off.  He did pare the frog & inner sole tho.  And today AAce is very gimpy again.  Just like when I first pulled the shoes off.  He even gimps when I lead him around if he steps on any gravel.  I've been hearing/reading about the Natural Trim and I wonder if that would help with this problem.  And does anyone know of a farrier in Southwest Riverside County who could do this type of trim?
Thank you,
Lindak & AAce (I have Owwies mom)
Perris, Calif