Re: RC: Re: horse containment in camp

In a message dated 11/15/00 10:22:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
greymare@jps.net writes:

<< My horses
 are trained to electric pens at home, and NEVER put two horses in one
 enclosure!   >>

I put my two horses in one pen all the time.  I try and allow enough room for
each of them to have their space, but I don't separate them.  I find that
separating horses that are "buddies"  usually creates problems (they will
test that wire that separates them) unless the two pens are completely
separate from each other.

I use a grounding rod and a pulsating system hooked up to a car battery.  The
shock will knock you down on your butt if you touch it and the horses
definitely know this.  I practice at home, keeping both horses in the pen for
hours the week before the ride and it pays off.  I, also, use enough tape to
have three "rungs" all aound the pen.  If you just use one you're asking for
trouble.

The one problem I do have at rides is the buddy bonding that takes place.  I
find vet checks difficult because the two horses seem to think they're
Siamese twins, with the connection being Dance Line's butt to Rebel's head.
Break that bond and the heart rate goes up, especially Dance's.

Practice at home and I don't think you'll have any problems at a ride keeping
two horses in one pen.  Of course it helps if the two horses are compatible
and get along well, normally, in the pasture.  If they fight with each other
at home then you probably will have to separate them completely at a ride.

cya,
Howard