Hahira - a.k.a. River Run

On Friday, November 10th, Sun of Dimanche (Sunny) and I, along with our
dedicated crew of Joan Tipton and Gabe Buckler traveled down to Hahira,
GA for the 16th running of the Hahira River Run Endurance Ride.  The
weather was beautiful; bright sun, high 60's during the day with a
slight breeze and
a little chilly at night. The farm of Pam and Willie Lanihan is a maze
of of coastal bermuda pastures, 4 board fence, hay barns, and a
beautiful home a couple of miles from downtown Hahira. We left Blue
Ridge at 4:30 AM, met Gabe in Woodstock, and arrived at noon.

There were almost a 100 riders in the 25, over 60 in the 50,(don't
remember exact numbers) and 17 of us opted to take on the first ever 75
at Hahira. I was a little undecided about what pace Sunny would be able
to handle comfortably, since he has grown enough fur to make a sheep dog
jealous.  I did not want to body clip him since this was his last ride
of the year and I
didn't want to have to keep him in a stall at nite until his fur grew
back. Just decided to go at whatever pace the leaders set at the
beginning, then adjust as the ride progressed depending on how Sunny
handled the heat in the middle of the day.

The trails at Hahira are wide and flat.  On most, you can ride two
abreast across hay fields, through pines planted as crops, and some hard
packed dirt road with a few pavement crossings.  You can go as fast if
you choose to go. There is still a drought in this area, so water was
provided in tanks and was abundant.  There was a couple of bogs and some
heavy root areas where footing was a little tricky.  The 75 was a 25
mile loop back to camp with a vet check in the middle at 17 miles.  We
would repeat that to get 50 miles, then do a different 16 mile loop and
a 9 mile loop almost entirely on hard packed dirt roads around the camp
to get 75 miles. The 16 mile loop turned out to be a great tour of
Hahira and the surrounding countryside.  We trotted through a
subdivision, down dirt roads with beautiful rambling white country homes
(Think "Gone with the Wind") wrought iron gates, 4 board fences, horses
and dogs everywhere.

I got up at 4:00 to feed Sunny under the light of a huge full
moon...almost as bright as day.  We tacked up at 5:45 and warmed up a
few minutes prior to the 6:30 start.  Sunny trotted off up front as
the full moon disappeared over the the pine trees across the pasture.

We rode up front in a group of about 8 riders arriving at the first vet
check at sunrise.  The pace was brisk, but not fast and Sunny was happy,
but I knew we would have to slow down as the day warmed.  Pulse criteria
was 64 at all checks with 30 minute holds at the two away checks and
between the last two loops.  The others at base camp were 50 minutes.
Sunny was down almost immediately at the first check. We headed back to
basecamp with several other riders at about the same pace.

At vet check 2, Sunny took a few minutes to come down and we left in
sixth
place.  Unfortunately, we are alone now and Sunny is not happy and
doesn't really want to move out.  About halfway to the third check, a
couple of 50 milers blew by us and got him fired up again, so we chased
them all the way in. Still in 6th place, we left the third check and
trotted and cantered back to camp with another rider, chatting and
enjoying the early morning sun. Sunny is relaxed and moving well.  We
are now at the 50 mile point and Sunny is doing great, but still a
little warm and taking a few minutes to come down because of his fur and
the midday heat.

The rider in front of us pulled, so we left the 4th check in 5th place.
The other four riders ahead of us are out of range, so the objective was
to set an easy pace and hold on to 5th place.  We held a steady, easy
trot for the 16 miles to the last vet check.  Sunny was down immediately
and cooler with the slower pace.  He was eating and drinking well, but
his back seemed to be a little tender.  However, with only 9 miles to
go, we did not feel it was serious enough to worry about.  This was the
longest ride for him, so sometimes you have a problem but it doesn't
show up until you get to the longer distances.  Will put the gel back in
my saddle pads for the next ride.

We trotted the last 9 miles and arrived back in camp just after sunset
in 5th place with a ride time of 8 hours and 5 minutes.  Except for the
back problem Sunny was all A's, and we completed 15 minutes after
arrival.  Sunny was treated to a warm bath with a back rub, his Gore-Tex
blankey, and his dinner.  He could have easily done 100 miles.  (I'm not
sure I could have)  We won a great T-shirt (which Joan appropriated) and
a heavy denim shirt with Hihara River Run logo....just right for Gabe.
Sunny got through the entire ride without losing a shoe, which was
really great. What did I get?......the best prize of all.  I got to
watch the moonset, the sunrise and the sunset on the same day from the
back of a great little horse, the opportunity to watch my great crew
look after him, and a lot of fun on the trail with some great riders.

My riding buddy Flinn Anderson and Abe also finished the 75, in spite of
getting lost on the first loop. Flinn and two others arrived a couple of
hours after dark, experiencing her first "after dark" experience.  A
couple of riders had falls in some of the boggy areas and few horses had
metabolic problems, but nothing serious that I am aware of.

Hahira is sort of a "fall homecoming" for Southeast Endurance Riders.
It's a big party with dogs, kids and horses everywhere. Almost everyone
shows up, even if they are not riding. For 16 years River Run has set a
standard for great, inovative completion awards along with unmatched
food and hospitality.  Although I enjoyed the 75, which gives me an
opportunity to "sneak up" on a 100 with Sunny, I was out so long I
missed the Saturday afternoon "get together" which usually occurs when
everyone gets back in. Got to the ride meeting late, didn't have time to
relax and sit around the bonfire, was more tired, etc.... Think next
year I'll just do the 50 and party more! :)

At the pre-ride meeting, head vet Ann Stuart asked if there were any
riders from Florida attending.  Since quite a few raised their hands,
Ann mentioned that on their ride cards, the parameters being checked
would be on the left and the vet comments on the right. <grin>

My crew was outstanding as usual.  They're getting so organized and
efficient that they are now ordering ME around. "Get out of the way",
"We don't do it that way", "If you will go over there and sit down, we
just MIGHT get you through this vet check". In addition, while I'm out
they
are hauling water for other crews, holding horses, helping with vet-in,
and generally running all over ridecamp.  (In fact, they were so busy,
they forgot to meet me at the finish line) Hmmm...good thing there was
no run off without a picture. :) In fact, they are so well known,
everytime I end up riding along with someone, the first thing they
mention is my great crew.

Becky Siler was ride photographer and as usual, captured another great
picture for me.  If you set it up, she just won't miss it.

I got back to camp just as the ride meeting was starting and and missed
most of it caring for Sunny. Don't know the placing.  Hope someone who
worked the ride will post results....or at least just Top Tens.

Jim Holland AERC 4074