Re: RC: more on manure

Linda,

I have one horse and compost my manure very easily and it composts to
approx. 1/4 of original bulk. I simply dug some small pits about 2'
deep and 6' across and as I clean my paddock, I fill one pit at a
time. ( I have six pits, you'd need 4 times that so maybe you'd be
better off starting out with larger ones)  Once filled, I wet down
the manure and then cover it with a tarp, which is also good fly
control because they can't use the manure to lay their eggs if it's
covered. It decomposes and composts and is wonderful for the garden
in a fairly short time though the longer left the better. Once we get
a frost and the flies are gone, I remove the tarps and cover the
mounds with leaves or discarded hay so the rain and snow can work
into the piles all winter. My neighbors line-up in the spring,
begging for whatever they can have for their gardens, the pits get
emptied, and  we start all over again. Works for me and couldn't be
easier.

Pam in MA