messes left at ridecamps and horse camps

Hi everyone:

I have been following this thread with interest.  I am a member of Back Country Horseman of British Columbia, and also a member of Endurance Riders of British Columbia, and I have noticed major differences in attitude between these two groups.

BCH encourages 'Leave No Trace' philosphy which not only benefits the areas being used, but also serves as an example to others using the area.  BCH members are generally in smaller groups, which I believe encourages personal responsibility.

When people are at Endurance rides, there sometimes seems to be less concern with how the camp is left.  The interesting thing is, that the more remote the camp, the more people seem to take a 'it doesn't matter if we leave piles of hay and manure'.  Even if it is permitted to leave this kind of waste behind, it should be spread out to help it disappear faster.

IMO, sometimes people leave manure and stuff out of simple ignorance, not by intent.

As a side note, as a result of BCH's Leave No Trace philosophy along with the reputation of our many hard-working and conscientious members, BCH has been honoured with stewardship of the two government controlled horse camps in our province.

Does AERC endorse any programs such as Leave No Trace or any other similar programs?  Perhaps this could be part of Rider Education?

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Sarah McIntosh & Saffire
Abbotsford, BC
ERABC & BCHBC member