Night Riding

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
I've read that horses see on a moon-less night as good
as we see on a full moon night.
I think that if a horse has normal vision, this statement is
TRUE from what I've experienced.

I ride at night in the fall with out any type of light
and both my horses seem to go unbeleivably well. I almost
always go out alone.
I only carry a small pocket flash light in case *I* need
to get off for any reason so I can see.
The horses know the trail like the back of their hoof, and
I stick to the trail they know. I don't do any
exploring of new areas at night.
Also.. I do NOT ride on ANY roads at night, although
I cross 2 of them.
It's way too dangerous in my area to ride on any roads
at night, even if the horse was lit up like a christmas tree.
 I'm lucky, I have a 5 mile loop, righ out my back door.
I do not get sea-sick riding at night like I've read some
people do, but I can see how it could happen.  When it's pitch
black, your eye has nothing to fix on.. that's when you'll
feel woozy, if you're going to at all.

Regards,
Barb