nightriding...safety

How do you all stay safe when riding at night?  I am down to Saturday
as the only time hubby is home so I can go ride.  I have really
considered going out in the dark.  I want to train for a winter ride
or two to be our first ride...something small as Ranger is only 4
still.  Thanks for any input you all have.
Shannon "ready to tape a flashlight between Ranger's ears" Smith