free-choice minerals

I have a wonderful and athletic 10 yr old gelding.  Unfortunately, he has early DJD (as indicated by x-ray during prepurchase exam).  I am trying to do whatever I can to stop/improve the DJD, including regular exercise.  He had not previously been enduranced (just used for lessons) and has good breeding (no obvious genetic reason for the DJD).

A month ago I started supplementing ACB's Plus.  Last week I started him on their Rush Creek Mineral (free choice) and Joint Jolt.  I feed the best grass hay I can get, although I know he has been on alfalfa int he past.

He has already gone thru 1/2 of a 25# bag of Rush Creek Mineral.  Should I be concerned and limit his intake at all?  Does anyone out there have any similar experience to relay or advice for me??

Thanks in advance!

Kathy Kelly in Parks, AZ