From: Jerry & Susan Milam
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2000 8:03 PM
Subject: RC: Susan Garlinghouse: Help on Winter Nutrition

Sorry to bother you Susan,

I read on a Clip Clop newsletter that winter grass can have a lot less nutrition that the rest of the year. We live in Central IL and I have two of my 4 on pasture only all summer and have done great. Should I start giving them some beet pulp with some horse charge in it to make sure they are getting their vitamins and minerals through the winter?

The one is overweight by 100 pounds or more. We bought her in Sept. She's a 4.5 arab/pony mare. Very easy keeper. I can see that since we've had her her hoof shows a marked difference to the hoof before we had her. The new growth is dull and wavy compared to the older hoof that is smooth and shiny.

I tape measured her for weight and I know that's not very accurate when we got her and she was at 945lbs. She stands around 14-0/1. She's wider than my 15-1 gelding!

I measured her again today after 8 weeks here and there doesn't appear to be much change at all. Can't be sure I've got the tape in exactly the same spot I had it 2 months ago.

The other horse is same age, full arab, has great feet and has shown no hoof changes since he's been on pasture only all summer. Should I worry at all about him? He's 14-1/2 and seems about right weight wise.

Can you give me any advice?

Thanks,
Susan