Re: Wrapping Legs With Poultice

I usually wrap after a ride, especially a 100 mile or tough 50.  It helps to
draw the heat out.  I soak a piece of brown paper bag and lay around the
leg, over the poultice and then a standing wrap and polo wrap.  I find this
particularly helpful if we have a long trailer ride home.  If I don't use a
poultice, I will not use the paper but I will soak the standing wrap in ice
water and put it on dripping wet with the polo over it.  The max time I will
leave this on is 24 hours, usually only 8 to 12.  Believe it or not, the ice
water soaked standing wrap stays cool for a long time.  The bottom line is,
I don't have a hard and fast rule.  Just depends on conditions and the
horse.