Re: equine virus neurological rhino

>KIMBERLY PRICE KMPRICE51@HOTMAIL.COM
>The Chronicle reported that 4 horses died from the 'Equine Virus
>Neurological Rhino' at Bay Meadows so I was looking up Equine
>Herpesvirus (Rhino) to figure out what was 'neurological' about it.
>
>I 'think' what they are talking about is EHV-1 Neurologic Syndrome which
is not the same as what we vaccinate for in the Rhino / Flu shot.

Deb said:
>Hi. My horse had the Equine Herpes last year in the Spring. There is no
>vaccine for it.  <snip>
>Any horse that gets that! ! most likely has a weakened immune system.

I lost a beautiful 5yo mare about 4 years ago to a combo of this and EPM
that hit her at the same time.  I agree with what Deb said since this
correlates with the info that was given me by the vets.  The vets had the
strong feeling that she was attacked because of a deficient immune system
since none of the other horses in the barn even got the sniffles.  Janie
had already had one attack of EPM so we knew her status on that.  We had
pulled her thru that quite well with no residual (and 6 months of
medication) only to have her have another attack 4 months after stopping
the Daraprim and Sulfa.  Combined with the herpes rhino virus, the assault
was too much for her system...and the treatment drugs for one conflicted
with the treatment drugs for the other.  A real Catch-22.  I hope to never
have another horse with this problem in my entire life since it was a
horrific experience!

Sue

-------
Sue Brown