RE: Bitting Question - Trail vs Dressage Usage

I ride with a French Link on the trail and in the arena the most.
All the principles of dressage apply as you go down the trail, too!
The French Link is what makes my horse round the best, and I have
to work on making him round and use his hindquarters on those
"power drives" up the hill, otherwise he'll just string out and lug
on his front legs.  I compete with the French Link but one time I
lost the bit and finished with just the side pull halter without
any problems.  However, after his first "race" I was seriously
considering a bit with more brakes, but he has calmed down.

But I have my lazy moments and ride the Arabian S. Hackamore, side pull
or rope halter.  I'm always mixing direct reining and neck reining
with any of the above, including the French Link.  Over the years
I have been learning to use my seat and legs more to tell him where to
go.  (The dreaded winter arena time is coming.)

He's not confused and doesn't really care what I use!

K.