RE: Gift Horse

Shara, I had a horse given to me last winter who was trained under saddle,
is 10 yrs old, but basically has been a pasture potato all her life. She has
now started her endurance career with me and did three LD rides this year. I
did not have her vetted before accepting her. I strongly suggest you do
that. Turns out she has an arthritic hock joint, probably from a kick in the
past. I couldn't see it from the ground when I looked at her.  Sure you feel
funny about vetting a free horse but believe me future vet bills and
heartbreak can be avoided (maybe)! Secondly, how many horses have you
trained personally from the beginning? How talented and confident of a rider
are you? If she turns out to be more than you can handle then how much money
can you afford to spend on a trainer?

Having never been ridden to this point actually has lots of plus's. No
damage done to young joints from being ridden too hard too early. As long as
she has lived outside and been free to run and play. You would still need to
condition her legs like you had bought a 3-4 year old. The  legs and joints
would need to gradually be conditioned. However, many horses that are
started under saddle late in life can have real attitude problems. They've
never had any consistent discipline and may really be resentful and
resistive to a "life style" change. You may find yourself having to deal
with a pushy dominant type horse, especially if she's been spoiled.

If this horse is sound and has reasonably good conformation the other
question is heart rates. What is her resting heart rate? How fast does she
recover from say 140 bpm down to 60 bpm? You can do this on a lunge line. I
would suggest having a endurance type vet check and evaluate the soundness
and suitability of the horse. Yes, that will cost money but not nearly as
much as potential vet and training bills down the road. A 30 day trial
period with the ability to return her for any reason would be a good option.
It would give you a chance to have a vet go over her, see how you get along
with her personality and attitudes, let you judge her soundness after a
certain amount of lunging, etc. Of course you should be responsible if she
injures herself  while in your custody. I also recommend that you be given
the option to sell her after a certain length of time. Say you've invested a
year of time and money into her and decide that you would rather not keep
her. Do you have to return her to the previous owners of can you sell her to
recoup some money to buy another horse?

Just some things for you to think about. Hope it helps.

Bonnie Snodgrass