Pondering about cause and effect.

Bob wrote:

>I have pondered these thoughts lately, how often do we just treat our
horses effect with out ever finding the cause. And how often do we get
impatient with the healing process when we think we have solved the cause
therefore the effect should be resolved. Is our rush to alleviate our horses
symptoms leading us astray? We go to a Vet and he says, clinically this
effect is caused by ...(hip pain, bad hip)....  So do this. When the cause
might be a bad saddle fit or a bad rider position or many other causes.>

Should we start to question our Vets (Doctors as well). Are you positive
this is the cause? Are there other possibilities. Now, cause and effect.>

I'm glad you posted this, Bob, because it's related to a discussion I had
with my vet recently.  When my horse colicked on me last year, I told the
vet that he was sickening for something (he's not a colicker) and that I
wanted him checked out.  I was advised to save my money as it was "the time
of year" for colics.  Two weeks later, he came down with a full-blown virus,
and I still maintain that the colic was the first symptom that he was
ailing.

The same thing happened this year.  A single colic.  No other symptoms : no
temp, colour normal, eating as per normal, etc, etc.  This time, I insisted
that a full blood count be done - voila!  It showed that he was fighting off
a virus and simply not showing any symptoms.

I often get the feeling that vets spend their lives putting out fires,
instead of preventing them.  I do NOT blame my vets for this, as I know how
hard they are working at putting out those fires (not enough vets in our
area) but I do blame myself for not trusting my instincts and insisting on a
blood count with the first colic.

Owners know their horses better than anyone, yet so often I have heard
people say "I knew there was something more to it, but I didn't look
deeper".

>And please, our vets, chime in. do you appreciate the owner interaction or
would you be annoyed by it.>

I discussed this with my vet, too, and was told that it was a tough call to
make.  Owners frequently complain about high vet's bills, and unnecessary
cost, but are the first to complain if a vet misses something.  In the first
instance with me, my vet was trying to save me money, and I appreciate that,
but in the second instance, he respected my wishes and went ahead with the
tests.

I guess it's all about communication : tell the vet your fears, your
concerns, and your theories, no matter how off-the-wall.  Sometimes, what
you are saying, no matter how strange it sounds, triggers something in the
vet's mind.

Tracey