Steve Rutter; candidate for Director-at Large

Hello fellow distance riders,
It was suggested that I tell you folks a little bit about myself and why I'm a candidate for an AERC Director-at-Large position.
Like most of you, I'll bet, I couldn't believe anyone did this sport when I first heard of it about 1975. I was studying with an ear surgeon in Oklahoma City and he was selling an Arabian horse that was too big to show. A lady wanted that big horse for 100 mile rides! I just couldn't believe it! My next exposure to the sport was in 1983 when I met Vicki and learned that she had been riding this sport for 3 years then. Vicki now has over 16,000 miles, many with me crewing. Little did I guess that I'd be joining her in endurance riding before my time was up!
Vicki and I moved to Arizona from eastern Washington in 1996, and it wasn't long before I was on a horse, having the time in retirement to spend learning the ropes, so to speak. I entered my first ride, a 50 mile, in New Mexico in September of that year. The porta-potties from the "out" vet check beat me back to camp, but I finished, and as I recall, if I didn't have a smile on my face, I sure had one inside.
I was hooked. I now have over 4000 miles on three horses, one a 5 year old with three 50's to date.

Perhaps from my past profession, I have a penchant for detail. I guess that's why Randy Eiland asked me to chair the Bylaws Committee for AERC this past year. Our committee worked long and hard and presented a first draft of Bylaws revisions to the Board at mid-year - a working session lasting over 4 hours! I will continue to work with the Board and at the Annual Meeting in Reno, and plan to have a draft that the Board will report out to the membership for a vote. I've learned so much about this great organization, having spoken with many of the "old timers" and founders of the sport. I have so much respect for my fellow riders, past and present. And it is my nature to continue to learn and to be open to new ideas and directions as AERC moves forward.

I don't want to list a lot of "positions" on issues I might have, because I feel strongly that the Board must be a deliberative group, and if all the Directors come into the room with fixed ideas and positions on issues, who will listen to each other and to reason? I have training and experience in mediation and have seen time and again that if the parties listen to each other and balance all views, a more beneficial decision is more often than not the outcome. I'd like to work for this process in the AERC Board so that we can continue to grow and prosper and be inclusive of worthy ideas rather than promote factions and divisions among groups of riders. I will listen to you, the riders, crews, vets, etc., and work hard for these goals for OUR AERC. Endurance riding began in the USA and I feel we need to remain influential in its practice throughout the world.

I certainly have thoughts on issues and would be happy to discuss them personally with you - just call me or e-mail me. But my promise is, if elected as Director, to take the position seriously and to work with other directors as a Board to come to the best decisions possible for AERC.
If you feel I can represent you, I ask for your vote. Thank you.
Steve Rutter
AERC#M17755
(520) 394-0023
rutter@dakotacom.net