Cause & Effect/Chicken & the Egg

Bob,  I hope everything turns out okay with you and your back!

I spent a couple of years chasing down undefinable body imbalances and lameness,
both for me and my horse.  There would be times when I would be riding for months,
then take a Centered Riding clinic or lesson, finding out the my body felt injured
and my horse couldn't track straight.  What pain my horse and I block out on the
trail becomes so obvious when we do arena work!  By that time we have both
compensated for each others imbalances that it becomes so entangled that
whatever the original source(s) of the imbalances are becomes so buried within
all the secondary problems, we had to unravel everything one by one.
Believe me, I know and it's so totally frustrating.  I just learned that you can't
always pinpoint the exact source of the problem, but you can work at each issue
one at a time and then you could eliminate the source(s) one at a time.

I was lucky enough to have the right guidance with horse health care with Diana
Thompson and my Centered Riding instructors.  Diana was able to run down all my
horses' body imbalance problems and solutions within an hour's time, giving me
a whole checklist of things to work on to get my horse straight.  When I took a
Centered Riding clinic with Mary Fenton, we just plain had to address the body
issues as part of the riding clinic because I couldn't physically ride straight.

Horse:  High/low front hooves (club vs. long toe), extreme dental issues, upward
fixation of the patella, total gait abnormality in left hind hock, lumbosacral subluxation.

The only item that was diagnosed by the veterinarian was the upward fixation
of the patella, and that was only because Nancy Elliott, DVM requested that a regular
vet do a lameness workup before she examined and treated with chiro/accupuncture.
The vet just recommended regular uphill trotting to build up the quads.  But the problem
really never went away until I addressed all the other issues.  I think that this was the
secondary cause to all of the others.

Me:  Scioliosis, missing ACL in left knee, bad right hip.  Right bad hip is probably
because of my horse!

So:

1)  Dental work for horse.
2)  Chiropractic care for me and horse.
3)  Muscle building for both of us.  Sometimes that means having someone else
ride my horse, and I ride another horse so that we aren't compensating all over
the place.
4)  New saddle, yeah!!!!
5) Corrective farriery (was over a course of a year - now normal farriery).

yada, yada, yada.  (As Abby says: TTT)

I spent all of last year P&Ring at rides and marveling at all those lucky
riders that never had to deal with any of these problems.
Now after a couple of years of trying to compete and not having a sound horse
(and sound rider) we are finally competing successfully.  Did quite well at our
third 50 at Quicksilver.

Kathy Mayeda
Equine Body Worker

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Mayeda;Kathy
FN:Kathy Mayeda
ORG:ATCE SJ
TITLE:Electrical Designer
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(408) 436-8300 ext: 239
TEL;WORK;FAX:(408) 436-1511
ADR;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;97 East Brokaw Road=0D=0ASuite 300;San Jose;CA;95112;USA
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:97 East Brokaw Road=0D=0ASuite 300=0D=0ASan Jose, CA 95112=0D=0AUSA
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:kathy_mayeda@atce.com
REV:20000718T163307Z
END:VCARD