Tying up mare

Hi Judy, hi all,

       Depends on how much you like this mare and if you want to work with
her.  My horse is a real tie-up horse, not at a ride so far, and requires a
lot of careful management.  Took him to Davis this year for a
consultation--the main preventative is daily forced exercise.  Forced means
keep moving for at least 15-20 minutes.  On "off days" I longe 2-3 min walk,
2-3 min trot, walk, trot, walk, and longer rides 3-4 times a week. That said
I do lay him off from time to time, then eliminate concentrates for 2 days
prior to resuming exercise, then hand walk him for 1 hr for 2 more days on
the road so if he ties up the vet can reach him easily:):)  Have tried
supplements, etc. to no avail.

Judy Etheridge
Sunol, CA