Karen's Questions

Wendy Merendini merendiniws@navair.navy.mil
This is long - and is only my opinion and what has worked for
me.
About using heart rate monitors...
I do believe that folks do not seem to be using them
to their best advantage.  HRM are a great training aid -
especially if your goal is a top competitive horse.

I use mine on every training ride.
Flikka, for example:  After a warm up,
I want Flikka's normal working range to be between 150
and 160.  For intervals I want to push her to
over 200 (I can get her to 220) and then I want to know how
fast she is coming down.  I do not want to "guess" I want to
know!  Now I know Flikka well enough to tell where she is
heart rate wise most of the time - but why guess when there
is a tool that with a quick glance at your monitor
tells the story?

I use my HRM during competition to monitor my horse through
out.  I do not want heart rates going above a certain level.  The
level differs as to the terrain.  If it is a flat ride and I am
getting readings above 120, then something is wrong and needs
attention.  Now if the terrain is mountainous or has long gradual
climbs I would expect higher heart rates.  How high would depend
on the horse, and as I have trained the horse with the HRM at
home I know what range the horse should be working within - no
guess work!  Now these heart rate ranges apply to the trot and
canter.  And yes, a fit horse can trot and canter an entire
100 mile ride!

As for incorrect readings - You need to play with the placement
of the electrodes as each horse is built different you may not
be getting a steady contact.  If you are cantering up a hill
and the horse's heart rate is reading 100, I would lay odds that
your electrodes are not making steady contact.  I had that issue
with Flikka and with playing around with the electrode placement
I am now getting correct readings.  Additionally, check your girth, if it is hanging you will not get good readings.

That said - I never train a new horse with a HRM for at least the
first or second year of work.  Now I am referring to the starting
of a three/four year old - not the older horse that has been
working as some level training be racing, showing, etc.
As you can train the cardio system much faster than
the rest of the body it could be possible to allow the horse
to go faster/longer than he should and cause too much stress
and possible injury to developing muscles, tendons etc.

Now as for type/size of horse - I like tall horses.  I just like
the way they move with a longer, reacher stride.  For this sport
I want a narrow long muscled horse, they normally dissipate heat
more efficiently.  It is a fallacy to state that tall horses do
not recover as well as their smaller counterparts, it is more of
an issue of bulk and muscle type rather than height.
For example: Flikka is 16 hands and can come into a vet check at
a canter and recover to 60 criteria in one to two minutes.  Her
16.1 hand brother can recover just a quickly.

As for temperment - give me the "sweethearts"!  My Flikka is as
sweet and gentle as they come.  She has NEVER pulled on me.
I can start a race on a loose rein, and I am sure all who know
my mare would never say she is not a top competitor!

Wendy Merendini