Re: RC: HELP!!

At 10:44 PM 10/25/2000 -0700, Leslie Davis wrote:
>Start feeding the supplement with vitamin e and selenium in it or for fast
>working effects, your vet can give it as a shot. Half dose in each hip.

WHOA!!!  Waitaminute here......You should not add a selenium supplement
without first determining whether or not your horse needs it or not!!!

Besides giving a supplement that may not be necessary, we all know of
horses that have *died* from selenium shots -- imagine that happening to
your horse for something that was totally unnecessary to start with?

I have had both of my horses tested each year for the last three years on
selenium.  They are given 4x the recommended dose in a high-doseage
supplement, and this allows them to test in the normal range.  Without
testing, I would not have had any clue how much to give.  This is something
that should be discussed with your veterinarian.

>Also warm up first a lot before much exercise. Lots of walking, then work
>up to an easy trot before you do anything strenuous like hill-climbing.
>When he's warmed up, keep him moving - like at vet checks. Don't let him
>stop for very long because he can stiffen up. Same thing in reverse for
>cooling down.

Oh gawd.  If you can't let your horse stop for very long because he
stiffens up, you shouldn't be riding it in an endurance ride.  Bad weather
or whatever extenuating circumstances might be exceptions.  Stiffening up
isn't quite the same thing as a tie up.  Horses die as a result of
metabolic problems like tying up. Use some common sense here!   How do you
expect a horse to eat and take care of itself if it can't stop moving?

>Each horse is different but I also found that a couple days before a ride
>I got the shots to give him and that did wonders.

A selenium shot is on the list of illegal substances that cannot be given
within 96 hours, or 4 days of when you vet in.  Here is a copy of the
pertinent rules from the AERC drug policy:

The owner(s) and rider of a horse demonstrated to have had drug(s)
administered as defined in this rule are
           subject to a penalty up to revocation of all points, mileage,
and AERC awards for the calendar year that the
           infraction occurred. It is recommended that non-permissible
substances be withdrawn for at least 96 hours prior to
           competition to minimize any likelihood of a substance being
picked up on testing.
           The medications listed below are presented as a guideline to the
endurance riding public as examples of stimulants,
           depressants, anesthetics and drugs that interfere with chemical
analysis for recovery of prohibited drugs.

Drugs and Medications: which interfere with chemical analysis for
stimulants, depressants, and anesthetics,
                including but not limited to dipyrone, sulfa drugs,
isoxuprene, thiamine, E-Se injectable, benzimadozole
                dewormers, and antihistamines.

**
There are a lot of things that can be done to minimize the risk of a tie
up.  Best to check the archives, or the FAQ on endurance.net.  Or ask Jim
Mitchell. <bg>