Fw: shelton,shoes, no shoes

First, I would like to make one point.   The ride that Cheryl  Shelton
decided not to enter because management urged the use of  some kind of foot
gear for horses, was the Weiser River Rail Trail.  As the name implies, this
trail is being developed from a railroad  bed.   Much of the original rail
ballast  (gravel) is still in place.  This ride was honestly described in
all pre-ride info as being rocky, and pads or easyboots were suggested.   We
did not  decide at the "last minute"  not to allow unshod horses.   Some
riders did complete successfully with only regular shoes.

As someone who has been riding for many years, under lots of different
conditions,  I have a problem with some folks refusal to recognize the need
for working horses to wear shoes.
I feel that "most"  horses benefit from time barefooted.   Some horses, in
some circumstances, can certainly be ridden without shoes.    While I have
never seen one,  I expect there are 50 mile endurance rides a horse could
finish without shoes,  and I'm sure there are LDs also.    I think it has
been established it is up to ride management to make the decision, shoes or
no shoes.
As a long time ride manager in the NW,  where the mountains have rocks,
valleys, too,  I cannot,  in respect for the idea of what is best for the
horses even think about letting a horse start a 50 in my area unshod.   I
have in the past  allowed a few on LDs, but was not happy with the end
result on the whole.   The picture of sore footed horses is not what we want
for our public  image.

I'm sorry Cheryl wasn't able to find a way to protect her horse for the WRRT
ride.      On the other hand,  I'm not sorry we did not have to trailer a
sore footed horse in from the Vet check.   I cannot agree with  "starting
and then pulling" if it doesn't work out.   That's not fair to the horse.

40 horses, all distances, entered this ride.   All had some kind of foot
protection,   35 completed,   and as far as I know, only one was pulled for
a reason that may have been "rock related",   I think the horse may have
lost an easy boot.

Dot Wiggins - AERC #968-- over 7500 miles--ride manager since 1982-- life
time horseback--kinda been there, done that,  hate seeing tenderfooted
horses.