Re: Re: Barefoot Performance Horses

Thanks Kathy for the good ideas.

I, being very analytical (is that right brained), can't for the life of me
see how an approx. 1/4" thick shoe is going to make a difference on a 1"
rock. Now pads that's another story. In Yellowstone we rode over giant
jutting rocks planted in the ground along with loose rock. As I stayed to
the back of the pack (approx 15 horses) I observed the shod horses going
over the rocks. They just indiscriminantly plodded through them. Seemingly
totally unaware of the rock's existance. While my mare carefully chose her
steps. The shod horse's [ankles] were rolling and twisting every which way
over the rocks, as they would step right on top of a sharp jutting rock.
Towards the end of the ride my friend, on her shod horse, said her horse was
finally watching where he stepped goinh through the jutting rocks. I figured
it must have been because his ankles were bothering him from all the
twisting over the rocks. So if a 1" thick rock bothers a unshod horse and a
shod horse plows right over them, what can the difference be? To my mind the
only logical explanation can be that the shod horse isn't feeling his feet
as well. This, to my mind, lends credence to the theory that a shoe has a
numbing effect on the hoof.

Am I completely off base here, what are other's thoughts on why a shod horse
can plow over rocks thicker than the thickness of a horseshoe without
apparent discomfort?

Cheryl, who prefers her horses to have the benefit of full feeling in their
feet.