Re: working with a kicker

Hi, Marlene,

I didn't discover my horse (home raised) was a kicker until his first
endurance ride.  He was unnerved by all of the other horses rushing up
around him.  Since then, I start riding under any group circumstance toward
back of the pack, and work my way forward.  Once he settles down to
business, he forgets about the kicking.  If we are just trail riding, he is
usually ok in front or anywhere, as long as he is not crowded.  I always use
a red ribbon, and vocally warn people to stay back.  I haven't found that
reprimanding him does much good.  Avoidance is my tactic of choice.

Joan Dowis