Changes under way

I'm mostly through with changing the way that ridecamp works (at the
technical level anyway:).

Basically,

a) if you are "Registered", then you can post to ridecamp.
b) if you are "Registered" and "Subscribed" then you will
   also receive via email posts that others submit
c) you can be "Registered" and "Unsubscribed" which means that
   you can post but you won't receive email from ridecamp. In
   this case, you may follow the discussions by watching the
   archives.

You can be "Registered" as either a "Post Only", "Normal", or
"Digest".  If you are "Registered" as a "Post Only", then "Subscribe"
and "Unsubscribe" have not any effect.

So, having changed the code, now there will be a bit of information
cleanup to do.  Basically there are 250 people who are currently on
ridecamp who have never registered.  this poses a problem because,
under the new world order, you HAVE to be registered in order to
post. So I "grandfathered" everyone in, but if you are one of the
250 and you wish to "Subscribe" and/or "Unsubscribe" you WILL have
problems.  I'd suggest that you register. You can find out if you
are registered by going to:

  http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp/logon.asp

and entering your email address.  You'll know if you aren't
registered. If you ARE registered, you might also want to verify
your information.

Finally, there are a number of you who, like myself, maintain a
variety of email addresses and need to always remember to post to
ridecamp using the right return address (so your post will be accepted).
For now, I'd suggest that you register each email address seperatly,
managing each registration under a seperate e-mail address.

So, I'm thinking there will be a few residual bugs to work out as
there were a fairly large number of deep files changed in obscure
languages like perl, csh, c, and msVB. things do seem to be working
now, let me know if you notice abnormalities.

johnt

(p.s. its a sunny day here, I'm going to shut-up-and-ride: - I'll stop back
      in about 2 hours...)
(ppss.  there were @20 duplicates in the distribution lists. I removed them.
        so if you WERE getting multiple copies don't be surprised if that
        has gone away.
)

=== a few stats ===
1260   Currently Registered
 712   Currently Registered - Not Subscribed
 548   Currently Registered - Subscribed
 250   Currently Subscribed - Not Registered
 798   Currently Subscribed

1510   Total Registered + Subscribed/Not Registered

(so even if 1% - or 8 - of you do a "me to", "way to go" or other noisy
reply, it generates @6400 email messages...and a corresponding 6400
deletes...without contributing information to the discussion...)