Tying Up/ Going Downhill

Jolynn Maynard jolmayna@whitepine.k12.nv.us
You didn't mention how bad the horse tied up, had she been worked?  Being on grass and off of alfalfa should help.  If this happens frequently without hard work, I don't think I would want the horse.  If it wasn't a serious tie up, and after working then possibly she will be much better with grass hay, no sweet feed and exercise she may not tie up again.

I have bought horses off the track that had never set foot on anything but level ground.  Some literally fall over sage brush, any little mound (like 3") and feel like they will kill us on rocks of down hills.  With time, they all learned how to carry themselves in rocks and down hills.  One thing, if you are tense and afraid (and it's hard when the horse you are on is about to fall, not to be afraid and tense) you will make the horse tense and afraid.  I will pony a horse with a saddle on and use a long lead to let the horse experience the down hills then start riding them.  I also let the horse stumble and fall (not clear down if I can help it) so they will learn to watch.

Just my opinion and how I train.