Re: RC: Feeding Babies

In a message dated 10/23/00 12:51:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
celestem@badgermining.co.za writes:

<< My question is,
 should I worry about this and increase her food or should I not worry as she
 is growing so fast, her half sister is as round as a barrel on the same
 amount of ration. I don't want to overstress her sytem (considering we want

I'm having the same problem with my 2 year old.  He is just shy of 16 hands
right now (purebred Arab -- must be some kind of mutant thing)  Anyway, I
have a hard time keeping weight on him too.  I really don't want to increase
his grain and supplement ration because I'm worried about causing joint
problems.   I did the Panacur 5 day purge on him and that did seem to help.
Currently, I'm free feeding grass hay in addition to forage and alfalfa
rations, Purina Complete Advantage and an extruded pellet that all my horses
get.  He seems to be getting a bit more fat cover on him since I added the
free feeding of grass hay (he's always been free fed forage, but seems to eat
more of the grass hay).  I'll be interested in what others have done with
this type of horse.  I think you're right (that means I agree with you :)
when they're tall, the growth pattern seems to make them more on the lean
side, at least early on.  One thing that might make you feel better -- even
though my baby has been lean all his life, it sure didn't stunt his growth!

Sylvia (I like FAT horses!!)