Tying Up

Hi Judy,

In August my 8 year old purebred arabian mare Falon tied up while we
were at Donna Snyder Smith's for a week of training.  To my knowledge,
she has never tied up before. We had competed at the Scipio Trail a week
before and she was at her very best--took first place in the 30 miler
and was in great shape.

I posted to RC and archives should have most of those responses but a
number of people emailed me privately.  I also did a lot of research
which I will send to you privately.  Falon's ty up was not a real bad
one and she seems fine right now.  We will try an LD in St. George next
weekend and see how she does.  BUT I am very insecure about her.  I just
keep thinking what would have happened if the ty up had occurred in the
middle of one of our Utah rides where no one can get to you-- like the
old Outlaw Trail--instead of Donna's arena.

Lari Shea sent me some wonderful information on her horse and I'll send
it to you privately but she has never had a problem since.  Others told
me horror stories of repeat problems.

After reviewing the research,  the experts think there may be a genetic
factor.  Sure appears to be that way in the 1/4 horses. If so a full
sister may have the same problem once she is "conditioned".  This is
definitely a problem that affects horses that are in good condition and
not those that are out in the pasture. If this was a problem on the
track it was because the horse was in good shape for racing.  Does not
sound too good for an endurance prospect.

I'll send the other information privately.

Joane and the Herd
Price, Utah
Lyoness@Castlenet.com