Update on my barn manager

Thanks to all who sent out good vibes -- they worked.

Against all odds (not any medical personnel would've have bet on this guy
living thru this), George has survived.  He has been off the respirator for
3 days now...on it for 2 1/2 weeks.  Off most of his medications and moved
out of ICU today.  He still has a long ways to go in his recuperation and
at least one more intestinal surgery.  His kidneys didn't take toxins and
all of the meds very well and may likely be on dialysis forever.  He's a
bit jaundiced and they're pursuing that.  He's alert and moving all parts.
Amazing...this guy is one ornery, stubborn, tough old boot.  I don't think
he's the nurse's favorite patient <bg>...but that's probably why he
survived.  One of my long time co-workers (one of the anesthesiologists in
the OR with him when he coded twice before the emergency surgery to remove
quite a bit of dead bowel) said he was about a 1 in 500 shot at surviving
this onslaught to his body!!

I went up to see him shortly after he was extubated and just about all he
had to say to me (in a very hoarse voice from ET tube irritation) was "GET
ME OUT OF HERE -- THEY'RE ALL CRAZY UP HERE!"  A good case of ICU
psychosis, I'd say! <bg>  Now that he can start moving around, he'll tire
out enough to be happy to have the bed to return to.  3 weeks in ICU was
hard -- even tho he was only really aware of the last few days.  He has no
idea what he went thru.

Thanks again for all of the good wishes.

Sue

-------
Sue Brown
Tyee Farm