Re: Re: freeze marking problems

Hi Maggie, I had all my arabs freezebranded in the late 1970's.  It seems to
be a relatively painless procedure for the horses as the skin gets so cold,
so fast, that the pain receptors are numb.  There was just a small scab for
each symbol and the symbols they used were similar to this:  =  <  >  ^  L
There are more,(10 in all) but I can't make them easily in this keyboard.
The scab fell off in a few days and the hair fell out but when it came back
in it had turned white.  On my grey horses they held the brand to the skin,
a few seconds longer to actually kill the hair follicle if I remember right.
Now I'm planning on having a microchip implanted by the vet, to also help
with identification if a stolen horse is located.  One reason I believe it
is less painful than fire branding, is my horses didn't act up or anything
and I just held them up next to a fence with their regular halter.  The cold
(frozen) brand against the skin took  maybe 20-30seconds if I'm remembering
correctly.  Maybe someone with more recent experience can illuminate this
subject more thoroughly.
Lindak
Perris, CA