Deworming

A. Perez AmandaPerez@ureach.com
  I am getting ready to buy a horse, and it's been over 20 years since I
last owned one.  One of the many things that have changed in the last 20
years is worming.  Back in my youth, you dropped a manure sampel at your
vets and wormed based on the findings, usually 2 - 4 times a year max
(now this was in Maine where it gets d*** cold in the winter, which I
suppose may make parasites less of a problem due to winter-kill of
eggs/larva).
  Nowadays, there are daily, weekly and monthly wormers given
continually (regardless of signs of infestation or not).  I have
concerns about both the cost and the safety of worming this aggressively.

Good for you!

Perhaps we have come full circle. It is still a good idea to have that
fecal sample done, and deworm according to demonstrated need, not based
on a rigid schedule.

Your frequency of deworming will depend on how much pasture/land you
have available, what the current parasite "load" is there, and how many
horses graze there. Obviously, more horses on less land equals more
parasites and a greater need for vigilance.

One of the best ways to keep the parasite load down is to manually
remove the manure. There are pasture sweepers available to do this, but
a simple pitchfork and wheelbarrow can also do the trick, at least in
heavily trafficked paddocks.

Researchers agree that 100% parasite-free horses are not the goal. The
horse, especially when young, needs some worms in order to stimulate
immunity.

Daily dewormers may be useful during a limited period each spring when
larvae are waking up -- in temperate zones, typically April and
May. Giving such products year-round may be overkill and subjects the
horse to constant chemicals that can hamper the immune system. In
addition, there are
anecdotal reports of daily dewormers causing problems in endurance horses.

Putting *any* type of dewormer into your horse is subjecting him to a
chemical load that must be processed and detoxified by the body. The
same goes for fly spray, vaccines, antibiotics, etc. Although sometimes
they are necessary, in general, the fewer chemicals the better. To keep
your horse healthy, support his or her immune system with good
nutrition, antioxidants, stress-free management and training, etc., so
he can naturally resist pathogens, whether it comes knocking as a
strongyle or an influenza virus.

Ask about your prospective horse's deworming history....you don't want a
horse who has been neglected in this regard, either, as there could be internal
scarring from encysted small strongyles. I'd stay away from any horse
with a history of colic.

There are detailed resources and web sites available with sample
deworming programs, plus lots of good stuff in the Ridecamp archives.
You can also supplement your program with garlic to help create an
internal environment inhospitable to worms.

Good luck, and congratulations on jumping back in to the wonderful world
of horses!

Bobbie
Orange County, Calif.