Re: RC: The Russian horse's pulse rate and recovery numbers

In a message dated 10/18/00 9:21:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
carolheard@mcsi.net writes:

<< >  sbmarino@aol.com wrote:
 >  *     According to Andrea Stercken, a German endurance authority:
 > "Many Russian horses have normal pulse rates from 25 to 30, which after
 >  work falls immediately from 100 to 40. This is an ideal metabolic
 > requirement
 >  for an endurance horse, which cannot be achieved in other horses even
after
 > long “term training." >>
    Maybe she meant other breeds (non Arabs).  I was riding my husbands horse
yesterday (about 30+ miles) and every time we stopped for over 2 minutes
after climbing a big hill this horse would recover to 38 - 39 while I was
still sitting on her.  She doesn't have a drop of "Russian" Arab blood in her
veins.  This horse is always like this even when my husband competes on her.
But she has got a wonderful career for the last 4 yrs.  1999 Nat'l Pioneer
Heavyweight Champion of 1125 miles just in Pioneer miles with a total of 1575
for 1999.  She has 4000+ miles in 3 1/2 years.
    So I would think the statement doesn't apply to any special breed of
Arabian.  There is a lot of Arabs that can do just what Lady does.  Even with
much less experience.

Tammy Robinson
Trail-Rite Ranch & Products
661/513-9269