Rye grass and Bamboo

Hello, I have a question for all of you.  We are just getting around to
planting one of the pastures we  cleared (can still do that in FL) and my
husband wants to just throw out rye seed to cover the ground and then regrade
and reseed in Spring with a bahia mix......my question is whether the winter
rye will hurt the horses as they will be turned out on it and it will be
about the only green grass available, we rely on round bales of hay so it is
available to them at all times---it is very difficult to get good pasture
going in this sand.

Question #2 is whether bamboo will hurt the horsess.  On the lot next door,
we have someone building a house and it is very close to our back porch, so
to get some privacy back, we are going to put a row of some sort of fast
growing plant in.  Bamboo was suggested.  I just wanted to know if it would
be harmful to them as they some times use the side pasture when we have to
seperate them.

Thanks.  Rae Bolton