Kat's accident - long

Hi All,
    Just returned from the Grand Canyon XP - an incredibly wonderful ride - and thought I'd contribute what I know about Kat's accident.
    First, there was no way to communicate with the outside world from the evening ridecamp so there will be lots of rumors.  Kat is probably the only person who knows just what did happen and she may or may not choose to describe it.  She was found about 1/2 way to lunch on the first day in a pine forest.  There were lots of dead trees and even more dead branches still on trees from the ground up.  The trail is an ancient indian trail (called "the Navajo trail") that goes through the Kaibab Plateau and across the Grand Canyon.  Dave and crew had flagged it really well but it was certainly not a well burned in trail.
    My friends and I were riding (probably about mid pack) and came upon a large group of very concerned people.  Horses were tied to trees and it was obvious that something was very wrong.  I can't give you names, but we were told that Kat Swigart had had an accident and that there were nurses and doctors from among the riders with her although they had no medical equipment.  It turned out that no one had a cell phone either.  We had a walkie-talkie but couldn't rouse anyone with it.  We went on and about 1 1/2 miles later came upon 2 hunters (grandfather and grandson types) who pulled off the road near enough for us to flag them down. We asked if they would be kind enough to go back on the road to the ride lunch stop and report the accident which apparently they did.  We gave them good directions but they weren't able to repeat them.  They talked with Lavonne and Dave.  Just after they arrived a rider also arrived to report that Kat was injured but that she was going to be all right so Dave and Lavonne didn't know whom to believe.  Fortunately, they believed the hunters.  I don't know how they contacted the sheriff's dept/rescue squad but before we got to lunch we could hear helicopters overhead so we know that help was on the way.  (We had been able to catch a glimpse of Kat under a pile of jackets contributed by riders to keep her as warm as possible and although she was conscious, she didn't look good.)  Dave told us that the first helicopter landed (he was on it giving directions) and the crew got Kat stabilized and loaded her on.  It took off, got 100-150 feet in the air when the rear rotor broke and the 'copter fell straight down.  No one was seriously injured (that's what we were told then, I don't know how true it is about the crew).  The riders helped pull Kat and the crew out.  It apparently took lots of morphine before Kat would allow herself to be loaded into the second 'coper to be airlifted to the St. George UT hospital.  (Who could blame her!!!!!!!)  Later that afternoon she was transported (probably airlifted but I don't know for sure) to the Flagstaff hospital.  The husband of one of the riders manages the ICU ward so I'm sure she's getting good care!)
    Most riders doubted that Kat was wearing a helmet since she usually doesn't but  I don't know whether she was or wasn't.  At first people were saying she met with a tree but later it was reported that her stuff - water bottle, camera, etc. -  were found scattered all over which started speculation that she may have been dragged.  Her horse was fine and was brought to the lunch stop and eventually back to camp.  I think a friend of Kat's took the horse back to LA but, again, I really don't know for sure.  As we were leaving the area after the ride was over, we stopped at the Forest Service station to thank them for letting us use the area.  The Deputy Sheriff happened to be there and asked about the accident.  It happened on a day when he was out of the area, he said, so that the request for help had to be forwarded to Page AZ (more than 100 miles away) and to a team that didn't know the mountain very well.  I don't know whose 'copter it was that crashed but I do know that a second one came along amazingly quickly.  I'm really guesstimating here but I think it took no more than 5 hours from the time she was first found to get her to the hospital.  That doesn't sound good by urban standards but you have to know that we were in a very remote area and cell phone coverage was really spotty.  the Forest Service Station and a restaurant/lodge/gas station were within 1/2 mile of the lunch stop though.
    I'll give you the injuries I've been told she suffered but please understand that this is not firsthand!!!  She has a broken nose and jawand  a hole through her cheek which will require extensive reconstructive surgery, a scalp laceration, broken ribs (and lacerated liver according to another post).
    Someone close to Kat should be the one to suggest how we can best help her.  Buying calendars may be a great idea but if she handles everything herself it may be a while before she can make arrangements for someone else to do the mailing.  In the meantime, we can all send her healing thoughts, emails and cards!
    And we should all thank the riders who selflessly gave up their own rides in order to help another rider!  That's true sportsmanship!
Laney