Re: racing arabs

> A.Perez AmandaPerz@ureach.com
>   It seems that off-the-track thoroughbreds are often much the worse for
wear having been started young and run hard.  While may OT t'breds go on to
performance careers, it seems many of them have soundness issues. Is the
same true for racing arabs?  Do they start running them as young?  Do they
run inot the same problems seen in t'reds (bowed tendons, navicular problems
etc(I know nothing about arab racing)

Lets see:

We do not start the Arabians under saddle until they are almost three
(January 1st for everyone). They race as three year olds. TB's start as
yearlings. Arabian are still growing until after 5 in my opinion, so if to
much stress is put on undeveloped tendons and bone.....you will have break
down. We have found that swimming is a great thing. It developes the
muscles, but with no shock on the legs.

Some Arabians that start young improve over the next years and peak at 4 and
5 year old. They manage to stay sound. This is why it is thought that 2
years of long slow training developes the beter endurance horse. This is
also why the 4 year old is not allowed to race at 50 and 100 miles. We have
taken our last two race youngsters and started the ground work and then
backed off. Taking them to the track closer to 4. I will let you know the
outcome.

We even took our last 3 year old and after his first 6 months at the track
changed gears. We took him from Delaware to Georgia to Sunbust Stables and
placed him in the hands of Lois, Becky and Mark. They endurance trained him
for 4 months. Accually it was like a vacation for him after track life. He
went back to Delaware and his mind and race day performance have greatly
improved. 3 wins and several 2nd and 3rds by just a 1/2 length or so.

Laurie