Re: RC: racing arabs

In a message dated 10/18/00 7:47:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< While may OT t'breds go on to performance careers, it seems many of them
have soundness issues. Is the same true for racing arabs?  Do they start
running them as young?  Do they run inot the same problems seen in t'reds
(bowed tendons, navicular problems etc(I know nothing about arab racing)

Arabs aren't raced till they're 3 (still pretty young).  I only have the
experience of observing 2 off the track Arabs and both raced without any
damage or injury to themselves.  I would think that is a critical element
when selecting an ex-racehorse for endurance -- were they able to stay sound
during their racing career?  If so, my experience has been that they make
excellent distance horses.  They are exposed to tons of stuff while at the
track and both that I have known personally are very level-headed and
sensible horses.  There are a couple of issues to work through with them (the
being passed thing can get ugly), but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a sound
ex-race horse for endurance or CTR.  I would recommend x-rays in the
pre-purchase though.

Sylvia (hoping this doesn't sound mean :)