Re: RC: barefoot performance horses

In a message dated 10/17/2000 5:18:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
horseplay@ratedg.com writes:

<< Hi everyone!  I am curious if any of you compete on barefoot horses
 and if any of you use Jaime Jackson's natural mustang trim or Dr.
 Strausser's trim.  I've been reading http://www.tribeequus.com  and
 want to know if any of you do this.  I grew up with all of our horses
 barefoot and just removed Ranger's shoes.  He's not competing yet,
 though.  Thanks in advance!!! >>

I've done a 25 mile ride in great footing on my 6 year old gelding. He
recently completed 50 miles (the  Norco Riverdance Ride) being barefoot. The
footing is excellent with some asphalt (bike paths). I don't normally ride
him barefoot in the rides unless I know that it is exceptional footing.
However, most of the rides in my region are on rough rocky terrian. Easy
Boots come in handy for these rides.
I condition him at home barefoot . . . my trails have Awesome footing. He is
just one of those horses that have feet to die for that are tough as nails
and hardly wear down at all. He is an exception. It just depends on your
horse and terrian. So be careful. A lot of horses just cannot handle going
barefoot being on a rigorous conditioning/ride schedule.
The Natural horseshoeing school I went through is the work of Lyle "Bergy"
Bergeleen. Since I've used his methods I have never had any lameness
problems. (yeah!) If you are interested his website is www.hooftalk.com
Robyn